Checking the authenticity of the data shared from a social media profile is one of the most important things to keep in mind while sharing content on social media. Social networks have enabled the circulation of user-interest-based information over the network. However, these platforms provide a ground for spreading false information and fake news, leading to long-term impacts on individuals and society. This phenomenon has rapidly increased due to the ease of sharing, commenting, spreading information, creating an account, etc. In covering content as soon as possible, we sometimes tend to skip researching the background of the information. Consumers’ trust in brands is low nowadays, and the social media sector can be held responsible. People are increasingly looking for content from sources that they can trust, and we should cater to their needs by becoming transparent and genuine. Hoaxes are spreadable and spread at an accelerating pace, frequently resulting in chaotic situations. Studies have shown that increased exposure to false information is enough to make us trust it and can hamper the normal flow of life. Fake news is ruining the status and trustworthiness of social media, and due to easy accessibility, it reaches more people in a short period.
As users and contributors to the platforms, we must ensure that we have fact-checked any piece of information before posting it. Making news false and adding inappropriate information may make the post go viral and spread rapidly, but in the long run, it becomes difficult to sustain.
We can follow the mentioned points below to safeguard ourselves:
- Consider the audience: We need to be well aware of the audience we are catering to and then decide what we need to share any piece of information.
- Fact-checking: Do thorough research on the topic you will post.
- Think before posting: ask questions to yourself, such as is the piece of information worthy of a new post or will it make any difference if I don’t cover it.
- Never Assume: We sometimes already have some idea about the topics we cover, especially due to whispers all around, our assumptions, sources from relatives, etc. But we should never post any information based on these assumptions.
- Consider whom to support: If the content you are covering relates to a brawl between two teams or parties, decide whether to support any team or remain neutral.
- Voice out opinion: Be ready to bust any false information you find on the internet. Voice out your own opinion. Being genuine is an important part of connecting with followers as, now more than ever, consumers seek reliable information and hold brands accountable for their content. Brands must be true to their values and brand voice, communicate openly and honestly with customers, and be responsible for their actions. Take information from trusted sources, and be ready with your proofs if someone challenges your research. Being real and creating authentic content can form a deeper connection with customers, encouraging brand loyalty. It’s about the relationship between the brand and followers, and that relationship becomes stronger by being real.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How can I look for authentic data while researching?
Ans. Look for trusted sources where there will be a detailed description of any information. Look for government websites that contain relevant information.
- What if I see information as wrong on any platform?
Ans. If you find any false information, try to comment and express your views with proof. Use the ‘Report’ option to mark that information as inappropriate.
- What if I find errors in the information which I posted?
Ans. If you find a mistake after posting it, try to delete and repost or edit it. If the information is old, try to update and correct it.